Mad Genius
It has been quite a while, I realize this and for it I will not offer whiny excuses regarding no time because that would be.... not far from the truth but just too common. I will not excuse my absence and neglect due to lack of interest or to dis adhere to my aforementioned promise as to the intention of this blog. Instead, I will Carry On!
Most recently I have become engrossed in a certain Scott Westerfield series. The series begins with a novel entitled Uglies. Set some 300 foward years from our present day, we are introduced
We read on as Tally befriends a fellow Ugly, Shay, who is just as daring. I should introduce an important element of the novel(s): Uglies are infamous for performing tricks. Silly things really such as sneaking into New Prettytown, stealing hoverboards, going to the ends of the City limits, jumping from tall buildings with Bungee Jackets, etc. These seperate Uglies from Uglies. As Pretties, there are a rare select few known as Crims- short for Criminals- who also perform such tricks but they are known as Bubbly. Pretties are permitted to do almost anything they so desire- their inlies the desire to be Pretty- an inherent sense of Freedom or illusion thereof.
Tally and Shay become friends instantly as Shay teaches Tally how to trick out the hoverboards so that they can not be traced. All individuals are given interface rings that are used as trackers. Part of performing any trick is to leave your tracker in your room or one place to go seemingly undetected. Shay teaches Tally how to be virtually invisible within the City- and beyond.
The first glimpse into the un-naturalness of this civilization is when Shay takes Tally to the Ruins. The Ruins are basically the skeletal remains of once looming buildings and sky scrapers. Cars are rotted and stacked lining bare and ghostly streets. Students are taken to the Ruins on school trips as illustrations and examples as to the failing of the predacesory generations. Shay then lets Tally in on a little secret: there are people living beyond the Ruins- non pretties.
The novel being some 200+ pages in length would be far to much to try a summary in one sitting. In short, there are twists and turns- quite literally, as Shay escapes from the City to live in the Smokies whicha are run by, Run-a-ways and a special group of people who have some troubling secrets regarding the Pretty operation.
Tally is blackmailed into betraying her friend and leading Special Circumstances (FBI or CIA if you will) to the Smokies. After falling for the leader, David, and learning what is exactly done during the operation, Tally changes and her mind but it is too late.
They are all captured and Tally's secret is exposed. But Tally won't have it.
The closing line of the first novel is, "Yes, I'm Tally Youngblood. Make me Pretty."
The second installm
In the next blog I will capitulate on Pretties as I am eager to finish the final installment, Specials.
I hope you all will look into this captivating series. For more information go to Westerfield's site:
http://www.scottwesterfeld.com/
____On the music side, in case you are not aware of this gift to music lovers, http://popapocalypse.blogspot.com/ is a haven for indie-rock and pop album releases featuring Conor Oberst (bright eyes), Noah and the Whale, The Faint, Moscow Olympics and many many more! Subscribe to the site and keep your ears open!
Sincerely,
ListenWrite
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home